On September 1st, the girls got to go to the dentist for the first time. They LOVED the dentist. I was very impressed with the pediatric dentist we chose (after being referred from a friend). They had a great waiting room and the patient room was full of hand puppets with teeth, tables with crayons/paper, and books to look at. The office was full of colorful pictures. Brynn said "Hailey go first" and Hailey tentatively climbed in the chair to go for a "ride". There was a huge smile on her face as soon as the chair started moving. Hailey got her teeth brushed and the dentist took a look around to check spacing, etc. Brynn got a turn too and while each girl was in the chair, the other girl was running around the huge room playing with the puppets and the books. The girls got to touch all of the dentist's tools and feel the "spinner" toothbrush on their hands that they get to have their teeth brushed with next time they go. At the end they got to pick a prize from the wall of prize buckets. They each picked a bracelet which sealed the deal - LOVE the dentist so far. Unfortunately the fact that they were premature and on so many antibiotics as babies means they have very weak enamel. Brynn has a few spots on two teeth that are pretty bad already which means very prone to cavaties. We started on flouride toothpaste even though they can't spit yet (appropriately that is...they both spit very well, just not to get toothpaste out of their mouths!) so hopefully this will help keep our visits to the dentist to routine cleanings only!
The next few pictures are in a park my friend told me about. She watches 6 two-year-olds during the day - twins of her own and two other sets of twins. She is amazing and I don't know how she does it. But, anyway, she knows all the great parks around the area so we love to meet for play dates! The girls love to play with her kids so it always makes for a fun time.
Brynn on the rope bridge in the huge tree house at the park.
Hailey on the bridge.
We had the annual Van Mersbergen campout over labor day weekend. It was a Christmas theme with Christmas treats, Christmas minute-to-win-it games, and stockings for the kids. We had a great time! Unfortunately I forgot my camera the first two days and I brought it Sunday with a battery that was almost dead. So, I got very few pictures. Below is one of Hailey and Brynn with Grandpa Van Mersbergen - they were sheep in a play for Sunday morning church at the campgrounds.
After Labor Day, birthday week began! On Tuesday I surprised Jason and we drove to Omaha and took the kids to the Omaha Children's Museum. He had taken the day off to watch the kids for me to go into work. However, I had already arranged with my mom to come Wednesday to watch the kids for me to work so we could have a family day on Tuesday. We had such a fun time together. Below are a few of my favorites from the 130+ pictures I took at the museum.
Hailey loved to be in the driver's seat of this fire truck.
There was a grocery store so Hailey and Brynn filled their carts to the brim. Interesting to see what food they choose - Hailey got lots of peanut butter and yogurt. Brynn filled up with bread and spaghetti sauce!
Brynn sitting down to eat. Notice she chooses the couch instead of the table since no one is telling her she must eat at the table!
Klayton in the tractor.
We were going to eat at a pizza place in the Old Market in Omaha, but the kids were pretty tired after the day at the museum so we thought the drive back would be perfect for a nap for the kids so they would be enjoyable for supper. We went to Texas Roadhouse and Jason was a great sport and sat on the saddle to be sung to. The girls were excited to share his birthday ice cream too!
So, back to birthday week. On Wednesday we took Jason out for soft-serve frozen yogurt which has been one of our favorites this summer. There is a new place that opened this year which gives 10 or so different soft serve frozen yogurt flavors with a buffet of toppings. It is delicious and much healthier than ice cream...well, depending on the toppings I guess! Thursday we made a run to Hickory Park - a tradition since you get a credit towards an ice cream treat if your birthday is within 3 days and a scoop of ice cream comes with every kids meal! Friday Jason planned a date for us without kids for my birthday. Dates without kids are few these days so it was great to just relax and have dinner without telling anyone to sit on their knees or their bottoms or to stay on their chairs until the meal was over. Saturday, we had a tailgating party for the Iowa/Iowa State game. Yes, I went to Iowa State and yes, we are all in Hawkeye attire.

Some friends and thier kids all came over. During half time we had cupcakes outside. Here are a few of the kids enjoying their treat. I took pictures of everyone's chocolate faces/hands/arms afterwards- lets just say outside was a good choice to keep the chocolate out of the house!



Hailey likes to stick her tongue out at me when I want to take her picture!

We had a block party last weekend and we had a fire truck and an ambulance come. Hailey and Brynn were pretty excited to climb in a real fire truck! Unfortunately this is about the only picture I took before my camera battery died. They were a bit more hesitant about the ambulance until Hailey tried to get in the driver's seat!

Klayton is excited that the NFL season started. Almost as much as his daddy!
Brynn with her bubble gun outside.
And Hailey with her bubble gun.
Bubbles never get old at our house.
This was only a brief moment while I wasn't right behind Klayton making sure he didn't fall off (come on people, I am not THAT irresponsible!) but I thought it was too cute not to take a quick shot of this snack time.

Brynn looks so grown-up to me in this picture.
Hailey on the swing.
The other first this month was a haircut for Hailey and Brynn. Once again, Brynn says right away, "Hailey go first" so Hailey climbed up in the chair and got this penguin cape on. As you can see, she is not sure how she feels about this penguin cape and will continue to formulate her thoughts on the matter as this experience unfolds.
The "after" picture. Her thoughts were positive regarding this experience after she got a sucker!
When Brynn heard "sucker" she was ready for the chair!
"After"
September was a great month. Having another birthday makes me stop and be thankful for what my life is like right now and reminds me not to wish for tomorrow but to enjoy the day.
Saturday night my parents came up to celebrate with us. It was a great week and the girls were reminded how excited they are for their birthday!
Here are a few more random pictures of life in September. Klayton is becoming more and more independent in his play and loves to explore and do things Hailey and Brynn do.
Klayton is excited that the NFL season started. Almost as much as his daddy!
September was a great month. Having another birthday makes me stop and be thankful for what my life is like right now and reminds me not to wish for tomorrow but to enjoy the day.
That being said, I am going to try potty training next week. There, I said it. It is official I guess since it is on the blog. I am excited to be done with this hurdle. Wait, what did I say? Enjoy the day?? Oh, right....that. Well, maybe I can take a "pass" for the days I will be cleaning pee off the floor. Wish us luck!


Kinda bummed there was no picture of Jason on the birthday saddle :)
ReplyDelete